Decide who fits within your target audience
In a recruitment screener you determine which interfaces the respondents should have with the target group of the product. Depending on the type of product you want to test, there are also considerable differences in the type of respondent you want to recruit.
In general, the following selection criteria are used to create respondent profiles:
- Demographic characteristics (e.g. age, gender and marital status)
- Geographical features (e.g. region and place of residence)
- Socio-economic features (e.g. level of education, income, occupation)
- Psychographic characteristics (e.g. interests, lifestyle and personality)
- Behavioral criteria (e.g. experienced internet user, shop online regularly, etc.)
For best results, many UX researchers recommend looking at behavioral criteria in particular.
Determine who to exclude
Usability testing is most effective when you recruit respondents who are not yet familiar with the product. To ensure that respondents' bias is as small as possible, it is best to exclude the following groups from recruitment:
- Anyone who has been involved in the development of the product
- Employees of the company itself
- Friends or family of employees
Once you have set up a recruitment screener, you can start recruiting the respondents. You have a number of options for this:
1 - Do It Yourself
First of all, you can choose to recruit respondents yourself. For this you can use LinkedIn and Facebook and it pays to immediately indicate what the fee is for performing the test. Depending on how specific the profile is, it can take quite some time.
2 - Use a recruitment agency
No time to recruit yourself? Then you can use recruitment agencies such as respondenten.nl, which recruit respondents for you based on your recruitment screener. The advantage of this is that it saves you time and they often arrange participant compensation as well.
3 - Use a usability test platform
Finally, you can of course also use the pool that a usability test platform has in-house. Using a tool, you can select the correct respondents based on various characteristics. Here too, they will take the respondent's fee off your hands.